Wednesday 18 March 2009

A Walk Along Norman’s Bay and Pevensey Castle



I spent a couple of day’s on the coast again. The weather was absolutely GLORIOUS!!! I drove down on Sunday with the top down. I hadn’t seen so many convertibles and motorcycles out in ages. At least I got to feel the wind in my hair. I think spring has finally sprung.


On Monday, we went to Norman’s Bay. There isn’t much in Norman’s Bay apart from a few lovely houses and some shabby looking beach huts on a very long pebble beach. Over here they call it shingle, but it is still stones to me and quite challenging to walk on. The sun was shining and the sea sparkled and was as flat as a pancake. All you could hear apart from the gentle sound of the waves on shore was the loud crunch of our footsteps on the pebbles.


We took a break to lie on the pebbles with our faces to the sun and to listen to the sea. It was so relaxing and was my meditation for the weekend. We had a lovely lunch outside right next to the beach. It was bliss.


The area around Norman’s Bay is steeped in history. Apparently Normans Bay was part of the Napoleonic defences of England in the early 1800's. Many Martello towers were built between Eastbourne and Hastings to try to prevent invasion.


After lunch, we drove over to Pevensey to have a look around the tiny village and Pevensey Castle. There are some lovely walks around the area. We had a walk around the castle, which dates from Roman times, and part of which is being renovated. The gates were locked and I wasn’t able to get a proper look inside the enclosure, but my camera managed to do a walk about.


If you want to see the rest of the photos, please click here. Or you can click on the slideshow.


No comments:

Post a Comment